This teaching unit for A Life on Our Planet – David Attenborough (Netflix 2020 – directed by Alastair Fothergill, Jonnie Hughes and Keith Scholey) comes complete with assessment task options to suit inquiry learning, project-based learning, and subject-specific approaches.
‘This film is my witness statement and my vision of the future.’
The documentary, A Life on Our Planet, offers viewers an incredible insight into the life’s work of Sir David Attenborough, as he recounts his experiences and observations of the deterioration of the natural world over his 93 years on this planet. His reflections about the state of the world are powerfully communicated and his vision for the future is compelling.
This comprehensive Teacher Pack – A Life on Our Planet equips educators with all that’s needed to deliver high-quality learning experiences which unpack the key messages of this important documentary film.
Contents (4 digital/editable/printable files ready for immediate download and use):
- Teacher Guide (16 page .pdf) – unit overview, inquiry questions, suggested lesson outline, teacher answer guide, assessment tasks/extension activities information (including Focus Assessment Task – Film Festival Group Project), additional resources/links
- Student Booklet (14 page – .pdf/.doc formats) – pre-viewing, viewing and post-viewing activities, focus assessment task – Film Festival Group Project (including planner), other assessment tasks/extension activities (including Earthshot Prize task), additional resources
- Teaching PowerPoint (20 slide .pptx) – what is a documentary?, pre-viewing, viewing and post-viewing resources (including links), assessment options
Unit duration: 12+ lessons (including Film Festival Group Project)
The Teacher Pack can be linked to the following areas within the Australian National Curriculum:
- Media Studies
A Life on Our Planet (accompanied by this Teacher Pack) is ideal for use in schools where inquiry is a priority, particularly for middle school students. The focus assessment task, the Film Festival Group Project, has been designed as a collaborative task.
In addition, the Teacher Pack relates directly to the following General Capabilities within the Australian National Curriculum:
- Critical and Creative Thinking
- Personal and Social Capability
- Ethical Understanding